1 1/2 c Water
1/2 c Wild rice
1 ts Salt
1 4-to 5-lb sugar pumpkin
2 ts Vegetable oil
1 lb Ground venison or lean ground beef
1/2 c Chopped green onions
1 ts Crushed dried sage
1/4 ts Pepper
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling over high heat. Stir in wild rice and 1/2 t salt. Return to boiling. Cover; reduce heat to low and cook 40 to 45 minutes or until rice is tender and all water is absorbed.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut top off pumpkin; wrap and refrigerate for another use. Remove and discard seeds and fibres from center of pumpkin. Place 1/2 inch water in bottom of shallow roasting pan. Set pumpkin in water in pan.
3. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add venison and saute until browned. Remove skillet from heat. Set aside 1 T green onions and stir remaining onions, the cooked rice, sage, remaining 1/2 t salt, and the pepper into venison. Spoon meat mixture into pumpkin and cover top with aluminum foil.
4. Bake stuffed pumpkin 45 to 60 minutes or until pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork. Add more water to roasting pan as necessary to keep pumpkin from sticking.
5. Remove and discard foil from pumpkin. Transfer pumpkin to serving dish; sprinkle with reserved green onions. To serve, cut pumpkin into wedges. With a spoon and serving fork, place a wedge of pumpkin and some stuffing on each plate.
Country Living/Nov/93 Scanned & fixed by DP & GG
Click/Tap here for the Printer friendly version. (Just shows the recipe only)
You can Click/Tap Back to return here.